Saturday, February 18, 2012

Au Naturale

   Six months ago I made a choice. A choice that would improve my quality of life. A choice that would force me to be aware of my foods origins and, in turn, make me a more conscious consumer. No longer would I peruse the brightly lit aisles of the grocery store, instead, I would buy only from local farmers markets. Gone were the days of processed cheese and waxy apples. Fast food? Bite your tongue, sir. I would sooner starve than pollute my body with that filth. I would be a slave to convenience, no more! For I had made the decision to go local and organic, and nothing was going to stop me.
   So, armed with the knowledge of the evils of "conventional" (the least offensive way to suggest a product is not organic/natural) foods and a grocery list, I marched into the market, determined and steadfast. The smell of earth and the sounds of bargaining filled the air. And as I pored over the various stands, I couldn't help noticing the deep purple hues of the beets, the vibrant reds of the bell peppers, the rich oranges of the carrots...and the absurd prices of absolutely everything in sight. Four dollars for an apple?! Were these people mad?! 
   Surely there was a rational explanation for the exorbitant costs. Perhaps I had stumbled upon an underground bazaar in which all goods had been touched by Midas himself. Or, quite possibly, I walked in on a fund raiser in which the prices of all produce had been increased 400%, and the profits were to be donated to a local charity. Of course, it could've been that it just wasn't the proper season for...well, for anything. But upon closer inspection I realized that no, the jicama was not made of gold, and no...there would be no ill-equipped children's choir benefiting from my purchase. Alas, I accepted my fate. I would not be going organic that day, not with my lucre.
   And so, I continue to devour the most deplorable of vittles. Irradiated radishes, pesticidal plums and antibiotic rich, rump roasts. Yet, I have not fallen ill. In fact, I have been in perfect health...neither a sniffle nor a belly ache in over a year. Could it be, that a Chilean grape is just as nourishing as one plucked from the vine of a small farm on the Finger Lakes? Is it possible that as long as we eat well, it doesn't really matter if our avocado comes from this side of the Rio Grande?
   That's not to say I condone the consumption of such culinary missteps as canned vegetables or precooked meats, but rather suggest, that choosing a locally grown, organic rutabaga over one shipped in from Canada, may not leave you susceptible to disease. And while I am no financier, I'm pretty sure doubling ones grocery bill on a weekly basis, could make for a less cushy savings account.
   So, don't let the high cost of organic foods deter you from eating well. Because while your reusable grocery bag isn't overflowing with locally grown lemongrass...at least you're not that lady with the "Hungry Man" meals spilling out of her cart.             


4 comments:

  1. Ahh yes! Thank you for a reality check! Some people just don't have the money... but you can still eat well! TV dinners were created by Satan! They are jacked up in calories, sodium and just about everything else... even the ones that are labeled as "healthy" are pretty terrible. They aren't even satisfying in the least! As lost as you are eating fruits and vegetable and FRESH stuff, you'll be good! I am continuing to lose weight at a pretty good pace, and I'm not able to afford organic. Sometimes I'll buy it, like you said if it's in season. But otherwise it's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, microwavable meals are pretty much inedible, but knowing all the crap thats packed in makes them impossible to even consider. And as you said, the "healthy" ones, are anything but. Not to mention the portions are barely enough for a mouse! 5 pieces of processed chicken bits (w rib meat, of course), dyed with some unknown substance to give the appearance of grill marks, coated in a weird, orange goo (that will be labeled as sweet and sour sauce)and paired with 4 freezer burned broccoli florets a few grains of (white) rice. Ummm, no thank you sir. What is so frustrating, is that people are actually fooled by these "meals". Ok enough about those. Ick.

      Anyway, I think the desire to go organic vs the actual cost of organic foods, is a common issue today. Everywhere you look, people are singing the praises of all natural foods and locally produced goods. But, for many of us in our 20's, its just not an option. Also, many organic items are not locally produced...and many local items are not organic. So which do you choose? Do you support the local farmer who works his butt off to feed his family or do you support the big company because you dont want to deal with pesticides? Eating shouldnt be so difficult.

      And in the end, a blueberry sprayed with some type of antifungal is still just as rich in antioxidants as an organic one. Not that shoveling chemicals down your gullet is a pleasant thought, but at least you're eating actual food...not something pressed, stamped, slathered in sauce and sent to your local grocers freezer.

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed you article on organic foods and found it very interesting. I agree that most fruits and vegetables are pretty good no matter what country they came from. I would also mention that washing them well is also important. Now lets move on to discuss how easy it can be to grow your own organic. This is a great time of year to start your seedlings on the kitchen window ledge..Tomatoes and peppers. Lettuce can be started outside in very early spring. They prefer cooler weather and leaf lettuce is wonderful when grown in your garden. Just remember to cut it of just an inch abover the dirt and it will keep producing leaves. tomatoes and peppers can be started and transplanted outside in 10 weeks, around the middle of May in the midwest. There is nothing like a tomato plucked right of the plant and eaten outside right in the garden. It is a summer ritual that I wouldn't want to forget.

      One last thought on gardening. There are few excuses. If you don't have the land, pots on you steps or patio work great. I also think being outside digging, planting, weeding and watering is great excersize. Be careful though, don't plant more than you can eat... Neighbors will start hiding from you in the fall when you are knocking on thier door with that bag of tomatoes your looking to give away. Nobody wants a bag of tomaotoes unless they are making speghetti sauce from scatch. I don't know too many folks who do that these days.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the gardening info, Jim. As you know, we live in an apt, but do plant tomatoes, strawberries, herbs and peppers on the porch. Much cheaper than buying organic.

      Annnnd if you need to get rid of those tomatoes this summer, we make our sauce from scratch. And by "we", I mean aj, of course!

      Delete